Monday, June 21, 2010

History of Back Road Churches, Brawling & Liquor

I discovered how the name Coopertown came about.  Robertson County was the largest whiskey supplier in the area, and the barrels were made by men called "coopers."  Interesting.  Amidst all of the little churches surrounding this entire area of the South, the liquor industry thrived. 

Last week, I wrote about Dr. Farris Moore, a famous preacher in these hills and valleys.  My book will tell stories from the local folks out here who've known him all of their lives.  I love hearing old stories.  That's what made me want to write when I was a kid.  I thrived on the tales the adults told late at night on our front stoop in Cincinnati's inner city.  I kept a low profile so I wouldn't get sent to bed with the little kids. 

Now here I am in Tennessee and still hearing and writing stories.  I love this home in the country and feel like God placed me here for a reason. 

Doing some work at the County Archives this week and no telling what I'll pull up about this little hamlet. 

Coopertown has become a spot on the map over the last few years because of the town's "Boss Hawg" Mayor.  Under his leadership, Coopertown became  "...one of the more blatant examples of speed traps" in the country by a spokesperson for the National Motorists Association (NMA)."  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coopertown,

 "Hawg" instructed his officers to target speeders on a stretch of highway who were either Hispanics or Fort Campbell military.  He figured both groups would sooner pay the price of the ticket as to show up in court, the Hispanics, he reasoned, because they were probably all illegal aliens

The speeding tickets were known to cost as much as $300 and paid for this tiny community's abundance of police officers whose only job was to catch more speeders.  A sign located at the interstate ramps on Highway 49, where the speed dropped suddenly from 50 to 35, read "We Love Our Children."  Hmmm, dontcha know how many little kids are playing at big intersections these days?

The town's sheriff appealed the 2006 Tennessee State outster writ, which was granted by the Appeals Court despite the "accurately characterized conduct" by the trial court. 

Next election, voters ousted "Boss" at the polls. 

With a new sheriff, fewer patrol cars wait behind every bush, but I'll still advise you--if you come to Coopertown, watch out.  There are still a few lurking where you least expect.

No comments:

Post a Comment